Welcome to Willow and Honey
As we know all too well here at Willow and Honey, scented candles are one of life's little luxuries. After a busy and tiring day, a great way to relax is by lighting your favourite scented candle. But as the simple appeal of beautiful scented candles catches on, the availability of the kinds, colours and fragrances expands. And, while that is great news for the discerning consumer, it can actually make buying candles and choosing the right scent quite difficult especially if you're buying scented candles online.
Luckily, scented candles can be used just about anywhere - but are there any places that they don't belong? Which scents are most appropriate for each particular room, and how do you match the scent to the season and mood? Are there any other scented candle 'rules'? Let's help you wade through the simple-to-understand world of scented candles by answering some common questions.
1. Should I use scented candles in very small rooms? If you're thinking bathrooms, then most certainly yes. But because it's a small room with potentially poor ventilation, consider using a light scent, so that it's not overpowering.
2. Do I match the scent to the room? Yes. As a guide, clean and fresh citrus flavours are the best scented candles for the kitchen, spicier fragrances are perfect for the bedroom, and beautiful floral scents work great in the bathroom.
3. How do you know what's right for each room? A good start is to think of the scented candle like music: for a living room, you'll want something warm, soft and subtle, but where your music might be a little louder, a happy, social fragrance like vanilla is better.
4. Should I match the scent to the season? This is a good idea. Fresh and floral for spring and juicy and fruity for summer are perfect for obvious reasons, but you can also go for a special festive fragrance for Christmas, for example - try a festive combination of cinnamon and orange in our Spiced Orange.
5. How can I match the scent to the mood? You're right that scented candles are all about the ambiance: lemongrass (in our Eau Verbena) is invigorating, while jasmine is perfect for stress relief.
6. Should I use scented candles to hide an odour? We're not saying it definitely won't work, but you also run the risk of simply adding a wonderful fragrance to a very bad one - ruining the experience overall. Trust us: get rid of the bad smell and then light a candle!
We are the archetypal modern cottage industry. Two sisters living 5 miles apart in the heart of the english countryside plus of course our brother who lives 11,000 miles away in Sydney, Australia. Between us we work any spare moment we have building this little venture with big ambitions. It’s not easy juggling home life with Willow and Honey life plus other jobs and family commitments. Oh and did we mention the 5 kids betweens us - aged between 13 (going on 21) and 1 years of age.
We set-up Willow and Honey just under a year ago to be a positive focus in what were challenging times...
We are often asked why we choose to make our candles using soy wax. People comment that soy wax products are more costly than say paraffin wax products, which is true at face value. However if you dig a little deeper you’ll soon see that the savings come at a higher cost.