We are often asked why we choose to make our candles using soy wax.
People comment that soy wax products are more costly than say paraffin wax products, which is true at face value. However if you dig a little deeper you’ll soon see that the savings come at a higher cost.
Simply put, soy wax is better. Better for the environment, better for the home, better for the family and creates a better performing product - which is important to us.
Soy wax is actually a relatively new product - it was only discovered in 1991 by a chap trying to find a alternative more cost effective alternative to beeswax, then 10 times more expensive than paraffin wax. Making soy wax products was a conscious decision of ours. As the name suggests, soy wax is made from the Soybean which means that it is 100% natural, 100% renewable and 100% environmentally friendly. By contrast paraffin wax is a bi-product of the refinery process for petroleum oil therefore non-renewable and non-environmentally friendly.
These are our top 7 reasons for choosing soy wax over paraffin wax, if you know of any further benefits or drawbacks we'd love to hear them:
1. Longer Burning - Soy wax has a lower melting point which means it burns up to 50% longer than paraffin wax candles.
2. Non-Toxic - As soy wax is made from vegetable oil it is clean burning and releases no known carcinogens when it is burnt.
3. Better Fragrance - Due to the lower melting temperature of the wax, a healthier ‘wax pool’ around the wick is created. This ‘wax pool’ allows the fragrance oils to more easily vaporise, and thus releasing more fragrance into the home.
6. Clean burning - Soy burns clean which means minimal soot is released.
7. Skin treatment - Light your candle 30 - 45 minutes before applying small amounts to your skin. Lightly massage into your skin in circular motions. Add more if necessary. The outcome is incredible - Your skin will feel rejuvenated and hydrated, as if you've just stepped out of a luxury spa but still in the comfort of your own home - especially during lockdown. *Always test a small part of your skin before applying *Only to be used with our natural coloured wax.